Here comes an overview of some of my professional
activities and services:
Member of Book Series Boards
SpringerBriefs book series on Intelligent Systems -- Artificial
Intelligence, Multiagent Systems, and Cognitive Robotics
(Intelligent Systems). Co-edited
with Karl Tuyls.
Multiagent Systems, Artificial Societies, and
Member of Journal Editorial Boards (current and former)
Scientific Management, Advisory
Committees, Memberships, etc.
- Member of the Expert Commission for preparing universities in Lower Saxony (Germany) for the next round of the German Excellence Strategy, organized by the Scientific Commission Lower Saxony (WKN), December 2020 / January 2021.
- Member of the Ethical Review Committee Inner City faculties (ERCIC) of Maastricht University. Since 2020.
- Expert supporter and contact for DKE (associated research group/institution), CLAIRE - Confederation of Laboratories for Artificial Intelligence in Europe, since 2019.
- Contact for DKE (network member), TAILOR - Trustworthy AI Integrating Learning, Optimisation and Reasoning, since 2019.
- Member of the European AI Alliance Group, since 2018.
- I-Portfolio board member of Maastricht University's "AI inside the classroom" project. 2018-2020.
- Member of the ICT Platform Netherlands
- Founding member and member of the steering committee of FieldLab Robotics (Netherlands), 2017.
- Elected member of the Board of Directors of the International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems
(IFAAMAS), 1998-2004 and 2016-2022.
- Member, Awards Committee der International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (IFAAMAS) - since 2016.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Institute for Mobile Autonomous Systems and Cognitive Robotics
University of Applied Sciences Aachen and RWTH Aachen, Germany, since 11/2015.
- Vice-Dean, School of Information Technology (SIT),
Transnational University Limburg (tUL), since 01/2013.
- Contact Point of the EURON (European Robotics Research Network) for DKE, 2012-2015.
- Member of the Informatica Kamer, Netherlands (2011-2013).
- Chair of
- Member of SIKS
(Netherlands research school for Information and Knowledge Systems),
- Member of the 2013 Prize Committee of the
- Scientific Director of
- Advisory Board Member (since 2008) of EU/FP7 COST Action on Agreement Technologies
Scientific Board Member (2002-2006) of the
European Network of Excellence for Complex Systems
- Speaker (2000-2005) of the German Special Interest Group of DAI of the Gesellschaft für
- Management Board Member (1998-2001) of the European Network of Excellence for Agent-Based Computing
- Member of the Gesellschaft für Informatik
(GI, German Computer Science Association).
- Member of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence Journal
Fuzzy Sets and Systems
IEEE Intelligent Systems
■ IEEE Internet Computing
IEEE Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge
and Data Engineering
IEEE Transactions on
Pattern Analysis and Machine Learning
Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research
Journal of Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Journal of Experimental
and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence
Journal of Intelligent Systems
Journal of Knowledge Engineering and Data Mining
■ Journal of Networking and Virtual Organizations
■ Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce
of Software and Systems
Knowledge Engineering Review
■ Knowledge Engineering Review
ddddFor Research Funding Organizations and Institutions
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG (Germany)
■ EU 5th and 7th
■ European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence ECCAI
■ European Science Foundation ESF & College of ESF Expert Reviewers
■ Fonds zur
Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung FWF (Austria)
■ Israel Science Foundation ISF
■ Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada NSERC
■ Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research NWO
■ Research Foundation Flanders FWO
Nationalfonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (Switzerland)
■ University of Luxembourg Research Funding
■ US-Israel Binational Science Foundation FSF
■ VolkswagenStiftung (Germany)
■ Wiener Wissenschafts-, Forschungs- und Technologiefonds WWTF (Austria)
Industrial Cooperation, Knowledge Transfer and
Long-term scientific advisory or consultative work, e.g. for:
Involvements in Conferences, Workshops
as Program Committee Member (PC),
Steering Committee Member (SC), Chair, etc.
AAAI Conf. on Artificial Intelligence
- 2014 (PC)
Intl. Joint Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems
- 2002, 2008, 2011, 2021 (PC);
2006 (Program Co-Chair);
2007, 2010, 2012-2014, 2016, 2019 (Senior PC);
2009 (Area Chair);
2012 (Demo Track PC);
2015 (General Chair)
Intl. Workshop on Agents and Data Mining Interaction - 2007-2009
(PC); 2010-2011, 2014 (General Co-Chair)
Intl. Workshop on Interactions with Mixed Agent Types - 2016 (PC)
Intl. Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Logistics - 2010-2012
on Agent-Oriented Software
2001-2002 (Co-Chair); 2003-2011 (Advisory Board a/o PC)
Symposium "From Agent Theory to Agent Implementation" - 1998, 2000,
2008, 2010 (PC)
Intl. Workshop on Computational Autonomy - 2003 (SC)
[BNAIC / BeneLearn]
Benelux AI & ML Conference - 2011-2020 (PC)
Intl. Workshop on Cooperative Information Agents -
1998-1999 (Co-Chair); 2007-2008 (PC)
Intl. Conf. on Complex Distributed Systems - 2010 (PC)
Intl. Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management - 2010 (PC)
Intl. Workshop on Developing and Applying Agent Frameworks
- 2014 (SC, PC)
Intl. Workshop on Diversity-Aware Artificial Intelligence
- 2016 (SC)
European Agent Systems Summer School
- 1999-2000 (Co-Chair); 2004-2008 (Steering Committee); 2018 (Organizer)
European Conf. on Artificial Intelligence - 2002, 2010 (PC)
Intl. Workshop on Engineering Multiagent Systems - 2013-2017 (SC, PC); 2019-2021 (PC)
European Workshop on Multiagent Systems - 2011 (General Co-Chair); 2003, 2004 (Advisory
Board); 2007, 2021 (PC)
Intl. Conf. on Web
Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology - 2011 (PC)
Intl. Symposium on Intelligent Distributed Computing - 2016 (PC)
Intl. Conf. on Agents and Artificial Intelligence - 2009-2010, 2014, 2017-2019 (PC)
- [ICML] Intl. Conf. on
Machine Learning - 2000, 2002 (PC)
[ICMAS] Intl. Conf. on
Multiagent Systems - 1998 (PC)
- [ICEIS] Intl.
Conf. on Enterprise Information Systems - 2006-2013 (PC)
Intl. Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence - 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001 (reviewer);
Intl. Workshop on Knowledge Engineering and Software Engineering -
German Artificial Intelligence Conference - 2002, 2004, 2005 (PC)
Workshop on Languages, Methodologies and Development Tools for
Multiagent Systems - 2007, 2009 (PC)
Workshop on Learning, Inference and Control in Multiagent Systems - 2016-2018 (PC)
Multiagent Technologies - 2003-2010 (SC), 2012-2017 (PC)
International Symposium on Multi-Robot and Multi-Agent Systems - 2019 (PC)
Intl. Conf. on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent
Systems - 2012-2014, 2020 (PC)
Conf. on Principles and Practice of Multi-Agent Systems - 2012-2013 (PC)
Workshop on Programming Multiagent Systems - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009,
Conf. on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering - 2007
(Industrial Advisory Board)
Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems
- 2015 (PC)
International IEEE Workshop on Verification and Validation of Adaptive Software Systems
- 2016-2019 (PC)
Intl. Workshop on Web Intelligence and Virtual Enterprises -